Renew Newcastle is designed to bring life back to underutilised neighbourhoods by finding creative entrepreneurs and community groups to undertake quality projects in otherwise empty buildings. It is a strategy designed to turn around decades of decay through high quality, low capital creative and place making projects.
Since it began in 2008, the Renew model has demonstrated that installing temporary activity in a neighbourhood makes it more attractive to commercial tenants. Creating a vibrant commercial hub in the city centre, has generated long term interest in Newcastle and artistic culture has become a leading player in the city’s revitalisation. Ultimately this means a better value investment for property owners.
Renew Newcastle relies on the support of property owners who have vacant buildings to make them available for this project. Property owners can define the terms they wish to make a building available on, select the project that takes place in them, and can participate on either a long term or short term basis.
Our legal advisors, Sparke Helmore have designed simple template license agreements to make it as easy as possible for property owners to participate. Property owners can make a property available to Renew Newcastle on either a fixed term basis (until a future redevelopment for example) or on a rolling basis (typically 30 days at a time) until you find a commercial tenant. In the interim, Renew Newcastle will undertake basic maintenance, remove graffiti, and ensure that the buildings is an asset rather than a liability to the quality of the streetscape surrounding it.
Renew Newcastle will hold comprehensive insurances, has a professional and diverse board overseeing the project, and will to work with you to ensure that the building is matched to a use that is appropriate and adds value to the building and its surrounds.
If you have a property or can assist with brokering access to a property, please contact us via email at [email protected]
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS FOR YOU:
• Your building is being looked after and used which will help minimise crime, graffiti and vandalism of your property.
• Stimulating business and activity in and around your building will contribute to a more desirable neighbourhood and help to attract longer term prospects. It is hard to lease an empty, boarded-up space covered in graffiti. Or in the case of a new property – who wants to be the first tenant in an empty block?
• We have access to funds to contribute towards minor building works. (That’s real capital improvement of your asset)
• We take care of and pay for basic maintenance and provide Public Liability Insurance, basic property insurance (glass repair) and most outgoings.
• Could mean tax and insurance benefits for you, depending on your circumstances.
SOME FACTS ABOUT US:
• Short term rolling agreements with a 30 day notice period which allow for easy vacation when required
• Our enterprises will use your building depending on size and condition for a range of cultural, creative and community purposes.
• All enterprises fall under the responsibility of Renew Newcastle.
Type of Property
We work with all types of vacant space from new and refurbished A Grade property to C- and D- Grade space which might need some TLC to make it commercially viable. We find uses for commercial, retail and mixed-use property.
Your property can stay actively on the market For Lease or For Sale, with easy access for viewing by potential tenants or buyers.
If you get a commercial tenant – we move out with 30 days notice.
Perfect if you are awaiting Development Approval and don’t know when to expect to start your redevelopment – we move out with 30 days notice.
Type of Owner
No property owner is too big or too small – our current and past property partners include developers like The GPT Group and The McCloy Group; individual investors with one or two properties; and the NSW Government.
Type of Uses
We will find budding creative enterprise, cultural activity or community groups to act as custodian of the property. These types of enterprises offer unique, local products which don’t compete with existing businesses, but provide a point of difference for the Newcastle city centre, making it a more attractive destination.
• For commercial office or showroom space we find creative industry professionals such as graphic designers, web developers, architects, interior designers and digital media artists who are usually desk based and in need of space in order to develop or test their business idea.
• Commercial offices may also be suitable for writers, publishers, illustrators, printmakers, and other visual artists for studio practice.
• For retail space we find local people who make saleable items to set up retail shops for fashion, childrens wear, homewares, jewellery or galleries for photography, contemporary art and installation, sound art or indigenous art.
If you have a property anywhere in the Newcastle CBD area or surrounding Newcastle suburbs, we would love to talk to you.
We will work with you to satisfy concerns you might have about coming on board, or find solutions to any barriers.
Contact us today.
M: 0418 477 156
SUBSCRIBE FOR UPDATES
For the latest news, events, exhibitions & opportunities to participate sent direct to your inbox each month.